Thursday, October 02, 2003

Chicago: It's All About the Architecture

No Cubs game tonight. So, what do I do? Watch the tape from Monday night's Bears vs. Packers game on the occasion of the "new" Soldier Field.

Do I love the Cubs because they are the Cubs, or because it's Wrigley? Easy answer, when we were in Boston, we went to Fenway. When I was in Seattle...no. When I was in Cincinnati...no. When I was in Pittsburgh...no. (OK, but I did ask for a room facing the park.) OK, so I do love the Cubs...even Alfon-sucka...but as everyone knows, Wrigley counts.

Last night, while the Cubs were losing, I went to a lecture by Peter Eisenman, the architect of the Wexner Center and other notables, at Archeworks. Archeworks is a remarkable, small school led by Stanley Tigerman. It's about architecture, but it's about much more.

Anyway, I joined my ex-Wex-Plex pal Laura for the lecture. It was mostly high theory for the architecture students. But Peter is after all, designing a football stadium. NO one asked about football or Soldier Field.

And then, I'm watching the tape of the opening ceremonies from Monday, and Tigerman is the first face you see for the whole friggin program saying "I think it's ugly."

OK. I probably agree, but liked this point of view from the NY Times.

No comments: