Thursday, June 05, 2008

Dinner with Mr. B Redux at Opera

A fun dinner at the restaurant Opera with friends. Ask An Economist took care of the bill.

I chose to pay the bill, and rather than collect immediately, sent a copy of the bill and this email to the participants:

"Let's do a natural field experiment. Attached is the bill. Don't look at it yet, and pick a method you would be most like to use:

a) carefully examine the bill, precisely add my order, the tax, and tip, and write a check for the exact amount;
b) examine the bill, try to remember if I really did order the Saint-Bris or the chard, get it mostly right, and round up;
c) take the total order, divide by 10, and then throw a dart to figure out if I was higher or lower than the average;
d) oh, wait, I've got these 20s in my pocket, close enough.

Now, take a look at the bill, examine the multiple choices again. Did your method change? Do you have a different opinion of who should be Obama's (the presumptive Democratic nominee for President) running mate?"

No comments: