Wednesday, December 17, 2003

We Always Knew Grant Was Cool!

I love a well-rounded Duke education. (OK, I suppose good parenting helps, too.)


--------------------
Hill remains a work of art
--------------------

Sam Smith

December 16, 2003

Grant Hill does have something else to do.

He was recently discussing African-American art, a subject that rarely comes up with a typical NBA player. But it comes up with Hill, whose Orlando Magic is here Tuesday night to play the Bulls.

Hill, for now, is elsewhere, probably some museum or art gallery. He has collected many things, most notably to the sporting public two NCAA titles at Duke, an Olympic gold medal in 1996, an NBA Rookie of the Year award and a half-dozen NBA All-Star Game appearances.

Hill also has collected some of the best-known examples of African-American art, including paintings by Romare Bearden and sculptures by Elizabeth Catlett. The collection is beginning an eight-city American tour and is featured in a new book, "Something All Our Own: The Grant Hill Collection of African American Art."

"It's one genre of art that's underappreciated," Hill said. "There are some very talented African-American artists. I was exposed to art at a very young age and, hopefully, this is something to inspire, give kids hope and dreams."

The artists featured in Hill's collection all ignored doubt and hardship to fulfill their visions and create masterpieces.

Grant Hill is not your ordinary athlete. He could quit and have much to occupy himself. He admits he doesn't even care for the NBA that much.

"I don't like the travel," he said. "I don't like the pace of the season."

But Hill loves what the NBA truly represents: not the money, fame and attention so many seek, but the game. We've heard this one before, but you get the sense Hill is sincere. That's why after three or seven or 15 or however many ankle operations he has had, Hill remains intent on returning to the court later this season.

Like an artist with a canvas, like an African-American artist with a dream, Hill covets the challenge. But he also confronts doubters as well as doubt. The court once was the easel on which Hill produced artistic movements and stunning athletic portraits. He evoked the grace on the court that Hughie Lee-Smith did in paintings of lone figures facing uncertain futures.

Hill knows his return to the Magic, if not uncertain, certainly is questioned. But as an athlete, he is, in many ways, similar to the artists from his collection. Hill has a vision he intends to fulfill.

"It's a challenge," Hill said. "Life is full of challenges and obstacles. And this is a big challenge for me. I'm not going to quit on it. It's really not even about the NBA. I just love playing. I love to practice, to play pickup ball, to go out and dribble and shoot. I'm sure when I'm retired I'll just want to go out and play."

Hill's story is familiar, if not fresh. He signed a seven-year contract with the Magic in 2000, but the ankle injury suffered in those last games with the Detroit Pistons in the 2000 playoffs never quite healed right. There were four games in 2000-01 before surgery, 14 games the next season, then 29 games last season. That figured to be the end when Hill, now 31, needed surgery again.

But it was a start for him--he averaged 14.5 points and 7.1 rebounds in those 29 games.

"Last year showed I still had the ability when healthy," Hill said. "I felt I had the first step and the quickness. I know everyone thinks I'm crazy, that if I make it back I won't be the same or that I won't make it back at all. That's fine. It makes for a better story when I do come back."

Hill is confident this time. Sure, he knows everyone has heard it before, how the ankle is improving. Hill doesn't get into it, but it's clear he is disappointed with the medical care he'd been receiving. He says he's satisfied a return won't leave him with a lifetime of pain and tendinitis.

The Magic is uncomfortable in this scenario, the franchise collapsing in a miserable season of coaching change and defeat. The team would benefit financially from insurance if Hill were to quit, but dares not say so, especially with lingering questions about medical advice and treatment.

Hill is on his schedule this time, listening only to his body and his chosen doctors.

"There's a window and I don't know how much longer because it doesn't get easier," Hill said. "Why not stop? I've still got a lot left in me. I've come too far to quit."

Hill says his availability is "checkup-to-checkup" rather than day-to-day. He plans to start traveling with the team next month and then play when he's ready. He knows he'll be rusty, but he's also confident he'll be pain-free for the first time in almost four years.

"One of two things will happen: Everyone will be right or I'll be right," he said. "I look at it as a `Rocky' moment. To have something inspirational, you have to go through something. This is something I'm going through."


Copyright (c) 2003, Chicago Tribune

--------------------
Improved archives!

Searching Chicagotribune.com archives back to 1985 is cheaper and easier than ever. New prices for multiple articles can bring your cost down to as low as 30 cents an article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/archives

No comments: