Sunday, November 02, 2003

"Thank You for Being Born Into Your Family"

We were going to save Il Fine Del Mondo for the seventh game of the Cubs vs. Red Sox World Series, but...

Gathering the ingredients (veal, prosciutto) was an excuse to visit the Pauline Meat Market--we had driven by frequently, but never stopped in, and our friends Brad and Don reminded us that it was a required stop for serious cooking.

When we order, the butcher is delighted, and seems to approve of the choice of veal and prosciutto. I tell him it’s for a family recipe, Il Fine Del Mondo, the end of the world. Later he asked the name of the recipe again, and I defer to Stacey (imagining how bad my pronunciation might have been), and he says, “oh, now I understand. I’m from Tuscany, so I didn’t recognize the name with the Sicilian accent…”

While the veal is not cheap, making it is ridiculously easy. A little veal, a little prosciutto, mozzarella, and Marsala wine. It truly, truly, truly, is a dish to make you cry:

Burn My Clothes Ma, I'm In Heaven!

The title of this post is Stacey's response...

No comments: